- Produce written / communications materials, particularly of a legal nature, including speeches, press statements, remarks, narratives, talking points, briefings, summaries, and reports.
- Undertake extensive research for fact-checking to ensure the accuracy and relevancy of the written materials.
- Effectively monitor and evaluate the impact of the written / communications materials.
- Establish and maintain professional and effective working relationships with internal and external parties, including counterparts, governmental and non-governmental bodies and agencies, and the media.
- Manage media relations and coordinate relevant public relations activities as necessary.
- Undertake other writing assignments as necessary.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Possess an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in Journalism and/or Law.
- A minimum of five years of writing / editing experience.
- Exceptional written and communication skills.
- Excellent understanding of public speaking requirements.
- Possess keen interest in matters of public interest and the Malaysian legal system.
- Having a sound understanding of various areas of law would be an added advantage.
- Able to produce clear, relevant, compelling, and impactful written / communications materials.
- Able to analyse, interpret, and draw accurate and reasonable conclusions from a wide range of complex data and present them coherently and succinctly to audiences of various levels.
- Able to capture the tone and writing style of a particular speaker and produce written materials as appropriate to that specific style.
- Able to tailor the writing styles appropriately to audiences of various levels.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Able to deal with high-level officials confidently and tactfully.
- Possess political sensitivity. Able to exercise discretion and sensible judgment while dealing with high-level officials, and at the same time, demonstrate political neutrality in all engagements.
- Experienced in managing media relations and public relations.
- Excellent command of English and good command of Bahasa Malaysia, both written and spoken.
- High level of research skills.
- Strong analytical skills. Must exercise a high degree of proper judgment in decision-making.
- Highly organised, resilient, and able to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Detail-oriented, meticulous, consistent, precise and thorough. Able to produce detailed and accurate written content under tight deadlines.
- Self-motivated and driven to improve. Adaptive and collaborative, yet able to work independently in a challenging environment with minimum supervision.
- High level of computer literacy, including proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite or Google Workspace.
The successful candidate can expect a competitive remuneration package based on his/her qualifications and level of experience.
Interested candidates are required to submit a cover letter in English, which specifies your relevant experience, and provide the requisite details and your portfolio in connection with the requirements listed above, as well as your contact particulars. Your portfolio should include samples of work, in any form, that reflect your capabilities.
Candidates should specify their current and expected salary, and send their cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae, and a recent photograph (non-returnable), on or before 31 May 2023 (Wednesday) to:
Human Resource Department
Bar Council Malaysia
Wisma Badan Peguam Malaysia
2 Leboh Pasar Besar
50050 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-2050 2056
Fax: 03-2050 2065