- Attend to telephone / email / walk-in enquiries on complaints against advocates and solicitors, and the disciplinary process;
- Draft letters of complaint and attend to correspondence;
- Conduct legal research, and prepare letters, memorandums and opinions relating to specific areas of legal practice;
- Conduct disciplinary hearings before the Disciplinary Committee of the Advocates and Solicitors Disciplinary Board;
- Attend disciplinary hearings;
- Perform general clerical duties (including photocopying, faxing, mailing and filing);
- Maintain database, including updating records on complaints processes;
- Liaise with external solicitors and third parties; and
- Handle all other matters as instructed by the Head of Department and/or CEO and/or Office Bearers.
- Minimum: undergraduate degree in law (LLB);
- Must be an advocate and solicitor of the High Court of Malaya
- At least one year of legal experience in litigation;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Proficient in both written and spoken English and Bahasa Malaysia. Knowledge of additional languages such as Mandarin (or other Chinese dialects) and Tamil is an added advantage;
- High level of computer literacy, including proficiency in using Microsoft Office applications;
- Proficiency in legal research and analysis, and legal writing;
- Well-organised, able to multitask and to manage time efficiently, and able to produce detailed and accurate work under tight deadlines;
- Must exercise a high degree of independent judgment and initiative;
- Self-motivated and dedicated, and able to work independently in a challenging environment with minimum supervision, yet be a team player;
- Willing to learn and adapt; and
- Able to travel and work extended hours, including weekends, if necessary.
Successful candidates can expect a competitive remuneration package based on their qualifications and level of experience.
Interested candidates of all levels of experience, including Members of the Bar, are encouraged to apply. Please submit a cover letter, in English, which specifies the candidate’s relevant experience and provides details regarding the requirements listed above, as well as contact particulars.
Candidates should specify their current and expected salary, and send their cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae and a recent photograph (non-returnable) by 6 Jan 2020 (Monday) to:
Human Resource Department
Bar Council Malaysia
No 15 Leboh Pasar Besar
50050 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-2050 2057
Fax: 03-2050 2065