The Head of AML/CFT Compliance must have extensive knowledge of the AML/CFT regime in Malaysia. As the Head of the AML/CFT Compliance, your primary role is to establish an AML/CFT Compliance Unit in the Bar Council Secretariat. You are expected to lead and manage the said unit in collaboration with Bank Negara Malaysia for the formation and operation of a self-regulatory body (“SRB”) for the legal profession.
- Facilitate coordination and collaboration between Bank Negara Malaysia and the Malaysian Bar to support the AML/CFT regulatory compliance requirements of the legal sector.
- Provide advice and recommendations pertaining to AML/CFT and the formation of the SRB.
- Establish, manage, and lead an AML/CFT unit in the Bar Council Secretariat to support the overall operational requirements pertaining to AML/CFT.
- Liaise with Bank Negara Malaysia, financial institutions, government bodies and agencies, and relevant regulatory bodies with respect to matters pertaining to AML/CFT, and keep abreast of current legislation, guidelines, and other regulatory requirements.
- Report to the Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”) and Deputy Chief Executive Officer (“DCEO”) on matters pertaining to the AML/CFT regulatory compliance functions and requirements.
- Perform other ad hoc duties or special projects assigned by the CEO and DCEO.
Qualification and Requirements:
- Possess an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in a relevant field, preferably in Law, Finance, Economics, Accountancy, or Business Administration. Compliance-related qualifications, such as professional accreditation or certification in AML/CFT, will be an added advantage.
- A minimum of 10 years’ professional experience within the legal and/or financial services sectors, specialising in regulatory compliance, and audit and risk management, including at least five years in a managerial or supervisory position.
- Possess extensive regulatory knowledge of the AML/CFT compliance requirements and a fundamental understanding of emerging issues / trends relevant to regulations, compliance, risk management, and industry best practices.
- Possess sound knowledge of the Legal Profession Act 1976; Financial Services Act 2013; Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act 2001; policies of the Financial Action Task Force, and AMLA’s subsidiary legislation and relevant instruments.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Able to build and maintain professional relationships with internal and external parties, including law firms, financial institutions, government bodies and agencies, and relevant regulatory bodies.
- Excellent command of English and good command of Bahasa Malaysia, both written and spoken.
- Exceptional problem-solving and analytical skills. Must exercise a high degree of sound judgment in decision-making.
- Possess a sense of discretion and able to maintain confidentiality.
- Self-motivated, dedicated, with a strong sense of purpose and responsibility, and possess strong leadership skills.
- Adaptive and collaborative, yet able to work independently in a challenging environment with minimum supervision.
- High level of computer literacy, including proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite or Google Workplace applications. Able to use online management systems.
The successful candidate can expect a competitive remuneration package based on his/her qualifications and level of experience.
Interested candidates are required to submit a cover letter in English, which specifies your relevant experience, and please provide the requisite details and submit your portfolio in connection to the requirements listed above, as well as your contact particulars. Your portfolio should include samples of work, in any form, that reflect your capabilities.
Candidates should specify their current and expected salary, and send their cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae, and a recent photograph (non-returnable), on or before 14 Apr 2023 (Friday) to:
Human Resource Department
Bar Council Malaysia
Wisma Badan Peguam Malaysia
2 Leboh Pasar Besar
50050 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-2050 2056
Fax: 03-2050 2065