Contributed by Joane Sharmila and Chua Ai Lin, Editors, Bar Council
Thirty-nine candidates have filed nomination papers for election to the Bar Council for the 2024/2025 term, pursuant to section 49 of the Legal Profession Act 1976 (“LPA”).
The deadline for submission of nomination papers was 31 Oct 2023.
The candidates are:1
- Abhilaash Subramaniam (Abhi Subramaniam) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Ahmad Nazrin bin Abu Bakar (Ahmad Nazrin) (Selangor)
- Anand Raj a/l R. Balasupramaniam (Anand Raj) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Azmi bin Mohd Ali (Dato’ Azmi Mohd Ali) (Kuala Lumpur, Johore and Penang)
- Bernard Scott (Selangor and Malacca)
- Collin Arvind Andrew (Kuala Lumpur)
- Cyrus Tiu Foo Woei (Selangor)
- David Dev Peter (Kuala Lumpur)
- Eugene Roy Joseph (Selangor)
- Fahri Azzat (Selangor)
- Farez bin Mohd Ali Jinnah (Farez Jinnah) (Selangor)
- Fariz Irwan bin Mustafa (Terengganu)
- Gregory Vinesh Das (Gregory Das) (Selangor)
- Hu Shi En (Danny Hu) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Kee Hui Yee (Kuala Lumpur)
- Khong Siong Sie (Kuala Lumpur)
- Kokila Vaani a/p Vadiveloo (Kokila Vaani Vadiveloo) (Selangor)
- Larissa Ann Louis (Selangor)
- Leong Pak Lim, Jeff (Jeff Leong) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Mohamad Redzuan bin Idrus (Redzuan Idrus) (Penang)
- Mohd Sahrilnizam bin Mohd Amin (Nizam Amin) (Terengganu)
- Muhammad Aiman Firdaus b Noor Azman (Muhammad Aiman Firdaus B Noor Azman) (Pahang)
- Muhammad Hafiz bin Hood (Hafiz Hood) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Muhammad Hawari bin Hanafi (Hawari Hanafi) (Selangor)
- Muhammad Shafee bin Md Abdullah (Muhammad Shafee Abdullah) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Muizzudin Schanni Feizal bin Maurice Feizal (Selangor)
- Murshidah bt Mustafa (Murshidah Mustafa) (Kedah, Penang, Perak, Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Pahang and Terengganu)
- New Sin Yew (Kuala Lumpur)
- Nor Zabetha binti Muhamad Nor (Norzabetha binti Muhamad Nor) (Selangor)
- Norliza binti Rasool Khan (Liza Khan) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Nurhidayaty binti Maidin (Nurhidayaty Maidin) (Terengganu)
- Peter-Douglas @ Peter-Douglas Ling (Peter-Douglas Ling) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Roshalizawati binti Muhammad (Roshalizawati Muhammad) (Kelantan)
- Tunku Farik bin Tunku Ismail (Tunku Farik) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Wan Muhammad Hafiz bin Wan Zawawi (Wan Hafiz) (Selangor)
- Yasmeen bt Haji Mohd Shariff (Dato Yasmeen Shariff) (Kuala Lumpur and Perlis)
- Yohendra a/l Nadarajan (Yohendra Nadarajan) (Selangor)
- Yong Li Hsien (Sarah Yong Li Hsien) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Zolazrai bin Zolkapli (Zolazrai B. Zolkapli) (Selangor)
The number of candidates this year is a notable increase from 27 candidates last year, and the highest recorded figure to date.
Approximately 21,590 Members of the Bar are currently eligible to cast their votes in this election. Members should receive their ballot papers by post from around 7 Nov 2023, and may vote for a maximum of 16 candidates.
The postal ballots must be returned to the Bar Council not later than 5:30 pm on 30 Nov 2023 (Thursday). It is expected that the ballots be delivered to the election scrutineers on 1 Dec 2023 (Friday), and the results be declared on the same day.
The term of the 42 current Bar Council members will expire at the next Annual General Meeting, to be held in March 2024.
Pursuant to the Resolution passed at the Malaysian Bar’s 55th Annual General Meeting held on 17 Mar 2001, each candidate nominated for election was asked to provide a brief write-up. To view the (unedited) write-ups, please click here to log into the Malaysian Bar website, and then click here to access Circular No 317/2023 dated 1 Nov 2023, entitled “Election to Bar Council 2024/2025”.
1 The candidate’s name as it appears in his/her Practising Certificate is stated first, followed by the candidate’s preferred name (in parentheses), if the two names are different.