Please note that the AGM will be held at Dewan San Choon, Level 2, Wisma MCA, Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur. Registration counters will be located on Level 3.
To Members of the Malaysian Bar and pupils in chambers
The 74th Annual General Meeting of the Malaysian Bar (“AGM”) will be held as follows:
Date: 14 March 2020 (Saturday)
Time: 10:00 am
Venue: Dewan San Choon, Level 2, Wisma MCA, Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur
The agenda for the AGM is as follows:
(1) To consider and, if approved, to adopt the minutes of the 73rd AGM held on 16 March 2019;
(2) To discuss matters arising from the minutes of the 73rd AGM (please refer to the AGM Update Sheet in the 2019/20 Annual Report);
(3) To consider the President’s Report, Chief Executive Officer’s Report, Advocates and Solicitors Disciplinary Board’s Report, committees’ reports, and any other reports re activities of the Malaysian Bar for the year 2019/20;
(4) To consider and, if approved, to adopt the Audited Accounts of the Malaysian Bar for the year ended 31 December 2019;
(5) To consider the 12 motions proposed in accordance with section 64(6) of the Legal Profession Act 1976; and
To access the relevant documents, please click here to log into the Malaysian Bar website, then return to this circular and:
(1) click here to access a document containing the 12 above-mentioned motions that have been proposed for consideration at the AGM (please refer to the fifth page onwards);and
(2) click here to access the 2019/20 Annual Report.
Members who attend the AGM will receive a print copy of the 2019/20 Annual Report on a first come, first served basis. Please note that only limited print copies of the 2019/20 Annual Report have been produced.
In accordance with section 64(4) of the Legal Profession Act 1976, the quorum for the AGM shall be 500 Members of the Malaysian Bar.
Members are urged to make every effort to attend the AGM so that issues affecting the profession may be effectively discussed by as many Members as possible.
(D) Note of Caution Regarding COVID-19
Some Members have enquired whether we are proceeding with the AGM.
Please note that we are required, under section 64(1) of the Legal Profession Act 1976, to convene an annual general meeting before the first day of April.
We wish to request that Members and pupils in chambers be mindful of the situation and take the following precautions:
(1) Any Member or pupil in chambers who has been in physical contact with a person infected with COVID-19 is advised not to attend the AGM;
(2) Any Member or pupil in chambers who has travelled to affected countries (including China, Japan, Italy and Iran) in the month of March 2020 should seek medical advice, and obtain medical clearance before attending the AGM; and
(3) Any Member or pupil in chambers with the common cold, influenza, respiratory infection or other similar or related symptoms should seek medical advice, and obtain medical clearance before attending the AGM.
Please note that Wisma MCA security personnel will carry out infrared body temperature screening on anyone entering the building. Anyone with a body temperature that is more than 38 degrees Celsius will not be permitted to enter Wisma MCA.
The Bar Council will make hand sanitiser available to all Members at the AGM.
We call on all Members and pupils in chambers who intend to attend the AGM to be alert and considerate of the well-being of others in relation to the COVID-19 situation, and request your understanding and cooperation.
We look forward to your presence and participation at the AGM on 14 March 2020.
(1) Members are kindly requested to make every effort to attend the meeting punctually to ensure a quorum of 500. If the quorum is not present by 11:00 am, the AGM shall be adjourned to 11:15 am on the same day and at the same venue.
(2) Members may park at Wisma MCA at a flat rate of RM6. In order to benefit from this rate, Members must have their parking tickets stamped / validated at Bar Council Counter 3 on Level 2.
(3) Registration counters will be located on Level 3, and will open at 8:30 am. Light refreshments will be served.
(4) All Members and pupils in chambers will be required to produce their National Registration Identity Card (“NRIC”) or driver’s licence in order to register their attendance for the AGM.
(5) All Members and pupils in chambers shall, upon registering their names, wear the designated wristbands for the purpose of admission.
(6) Pupils in chambers may attend but shall not vote, and shall be seated only at the area(s) designated for them.
(7) Under the Continuing Professional Development (“CPD”) Scheme, Members and pupils in chambers will earn one CPD point for attending the AGM.
(8) A suitable room close to the AGM hall will be designated as a Nursing Room for women, and will be available from 8:30 am until the conclusion of the AGM. Please note that there are no private cubicles within the room.
(9) For information on preferential hotel corporate rates secured by the Bar Council, please refer to the current list, which is accessible here on the Malaysian Bar website.