©The Star (Used by permission)
by YUEN MEIKENG
KUALA LUMPUR: The Prevention of Crime (Amendment and Extension) Act 2013, that allows suspected criminals to be detained without trial for up to two years, will come into effect Wednesday.
Deputy Home Minister Datuk Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar said the Act will be gazetted on Tuesday and will be enforced on Wednesday, April 2.
“Before the Act is implemented, we ensured that prison authorities were briefed so that those detained under the law be given counselling, among others,” he said during question time at Parliament on Monday.
The amended Act, which was passed by Parliament last October, will enable suspected criminals to be detained without trial for up to two years.
It also stipulates the formation of a Prevention of Crime Board to determine the issuance of detention orders.
Junaidi said that board members would be appointed by the King before the Act comes into effect.
“The Home Ministry is not directly involved in the appointment of the board members,” he said, adding that the board will also include individuals who are not part of the Government.
Dr Wan Junaidi, who is also Santubong MP, stressed that the Act would always be used by authorities as a last resort.
“Existing laws, including those stipulated in the Penal Code, must be upheld unless we are faced by problems which cannot be resolved.
“Only then will the Act be implemented,” he said.
It was previously reported that the board will comprise five members and will be an independent body that would appoint inquiry officers and set its own rules and standard operating procedures.
The board will report to Parliament and members will serve a two–year term, with a maximum of two terms.