Click here to download the PDF version of the 2011/12 Annual Report.
Circular No 046/2012
Dated 5 Mar 2012
To Members of the Malaysian Bar and pupils in chambers
Please be reminded that the 66th Annual General Meeting (“AGM”) of the Malaysian Bar (for the year 2011/2012) will be held as follows:
Date: 10 Mar 2012 (Saturday)
Time: 10:00 am
Venue: Grand Ballroom, Sunway Putra Hotel (formerly known as the Legend Hotel), Jalan Putra, Kuala Lumpur
The agenda for the AGM is as follows:
(1) To consider and, if approved, to adopt the Minutes of the 65th AGM held on 12 Mar 2011;
(2) To discuss matters arising from the 65th AGM (please refer to the AGM Update Sheet on pages 46 to 49 of the 2011/2012 Annual Report);
(3) To consider the President’s and Committees’ Reports re: Activities of the Malaysian Bar for the year 2011/2012;
(4) To consider and, if approved, to adopt the Audited Accounts of the Malaysian Bar for the year ended 31 Dec 2011;
(5) To consider the following proposed motions:
(5.1) “Motion regarding mandatory Continuing Professional Development Scheme”, proposed by Dipendra Harshad Rai (Chairperson, Bar Council Professional Standards and Development Committee), on behalf of Bar Council, dated 27 Feb 2012 (pages 3 to 14 of the attached bundle of motions);(5.2) Motion regarding the Advocates and Solicitors Disciplinary Board, jointly proposed by MS Murthi, Kumar Thangaraju, Sundaresan Krishnan and Thanalakshmi G, dated 1 Mar 2012 (pages 15 to 17 of the attached bundle of motions);(5.3) Motion regarding the Advocates and Solicitors Disciplinary Board, proposed by Naran Singh and jointly seconded by Pritam Singh Doal, GK Sritharan, T Gunaseelan and R Kengadharan, dated 28 Feb 2012 (pages 18 to 20 of the attached bundle of motions);(5.4) Motion regarding the death penalty, proposed by Naran Singh and jointly seconded by Pritam Singh Doal, GK Sritharan, T Gunaseelan and R Kengadharan, dated 28 Feb 2012 (pages 21 to 23 of the attached bundle of motions); and(5.5) “Motion on maintaining a just employment relationship, worker and trade union rights in Malaysia”, proposed by Charles Hector and seconded by Francis Pereira, dated 1 Mar 2012 (pages 24 to 27 of the attached bundle of motions); and
In accordance with section 64(4) of the Legal Profession Act 1976, the quorum for the AGM shall be 500 Members of the Malaysian Bar. Members are urged to make every effort to attend the AGM so that issues affecting the profession may be effectively discussed by as many Members as possible.
Attached is a document containing the five abovementioned motions that have been proposed for consideration at the AGM. If you are a registered user of the Malaysian Bar website, you may also click here to view the five motions, and here to download the 2011/2012 Annual Report.
Members who attend the AGM will be provided with a print copy of the 2011/2012 Annual Report on a first–come, first–served basis. Please note that only 1,000 print copies of the Annual Report have been produced.
We look forward to your presence and participation at the AGM.
Tony Woon Yeow Thong
(1) Members are kindly requested to make every effort to attend the meeting punctually to ensure a quorum of 500.
(2) Registration counters will open from 8:30 am. Light refreshments will be served.
(3) Pupils in chambers may attend but shall not vote, and shall be seated only at the area(s) designated for them.
(4) All Members shall, upon registering their names, wear the designated stickers for the purpose of admission.
(5) The rates for accommodation at Sunway Putra Hotel are:
No Room Single (RM) Double (RM)(a) Superior 240 nett 270 nett(b) Deluxe 260 nett 290 nett(c) Crest 340 nett 390 nett(d) Junior Suite 410 nett 470 nett
These rates are inclusive of 10% service charge and prevailing government tax, and buffet breakfast(s). Members are requested to make their own reservations by contacting Sebastian Nathan, Senior Sales Manager, by telephone at 03–4040 4870/012–205 5517, by e–mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at 03–4042 9069.
If you are a registered user of the Malaysian Bar website, you may click here to access this circular and the attachment.