Contributed by Joane Sharmila, Editor, Bar Council
Thirty-eight candidates have filed nomination papers for election to the Bar Council for the 2022/2023 term, pursuant to section 49 of the Legal Profession Act 1976 (“LPA”). The deadline for submission of nomination papers was 31 Oct 2021.
The candidates are:1
- Abang Mohd Iwawan Bin Abg Narawi @ Abg Nawawi (Abang Iwawan) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Anand Raj A/L R. Balasupramaniam (Anand Raj) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Burhanudeen Bin Abdul Wahid (Burhanudeen Abdul Wahid) (Kedah)
- Chan Weng Keng (Roger Chan Weng Keng) (Kuala Lumpur)
- David Dev Peter (Kuala Lumpur)
- Dipendra A/L Harshad Rai (H. R. Dipendra) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Fahri Azzat (Selangor)
- Farez Bin Mohd Ali Jinnah (Farez Jinnah) (Selangor)
- Fariz Irwan Bin Mustafa (Terengganu)
- Hendon Mohamed (Kuala Lumpur and Selangor)
- Jamie Wong Siew Min (Jamie Wong) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Jayabalan A/L Raman Kutty (R. Jayabalan) (Johore)
- Karen Cheah Yee Lynn (Kuala Lumpur)
- Kee Mohd Thariq Bin K Zainal Abidin (Kee Thariq) (Selangor)
- Larissa Ann Louis (Selangor)
- Lukman Sheriff B Alias (Lukman Sheriff Alias) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Mohamad Ezri B Abdul Wahab (Ezri) (Penang and Selangor)
- Mohamad Redzuan Bin Idrus (Redzuan Idrus) (Penang)
- Mohd Azlisham Bin Jaffar (Azlisham) (Kelantan)
- Mohd Izral Bin Mohamed Khairy (Mohd Izral Khairy) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Murshidah Bt Mustafa (Murshidah Mustafa) (Kedah, Penang and Selangor)
- Nadhirah Amalina Binti Abdul Rahman (Nadhirah Amalina) (Selangor)
- New Sin Yew (Kuala Lumpur)
- Nor Zabetha Binti Muhamad Nor (Selangor)
- Rajpal Singh A/L Mukhtiar Singh (Dato’ Rajpal Singh) (Selangor)
- Roger Tan Kor Mee (Datuk Roger Tan Kor Mee) (Johore)
- Salim Bin Bashir Bhaskaran (Salim Bashir) (Selangor)
- See Eng Teong (Dr. Vince See Eng Teong) (Selangor)
- Shamsher Singh Thind (Dr Shamsher Singh Thind) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Shanker A/L Kaliyana Sundaram (Shanker Sundaram) (Selangor)
- Srimurugan A/L Alagan @ Alake (Srimurugan Alagan) (Selangor)
- Surendra Ananth A/L Anandaraju (Surendra Ananth) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Suzana Norlihan Binti Alias (Suzana Norlihan Alias) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Tai Zee How (Kuala Lumpur)
- Tan Lay Ean (Honey Tan Lay Ean) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Vijaya Kumar Raj A/L K. Durai Raj (V. K. Raj) (Selangor)
- Yong Li Hsien (Sarah Yong Li Hsien) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Yusfarizal Bin Yussoff (Kuala Lumpur)
The number of candidates this year is the highest in several years. Last year, 27 Members stood for election, compared to 2019 which saw 35 Members standing for election. From 2005 to 2020, there were between 20 and 35 contenders. During those years, there were 12 openings for election to the Bar Council under section 47(2)(c) of the LPA, which increased to 16 vacancies this year.
Almost 20,200 Members of the Bar are currently eligible to cast their votes in this election. Members should receive their ballot papers by post starting from around 8 Nov 2021, and may vote for a maximum of 16 candidates.
The postal ballots must be returned to the Bar Council Secretariat not later than 5:30 pm on 30 Nov 2021 (Tuesday). It is expected that the ballots be delivered to the election scrutineers on 1 Dec 2021 (Wednesday), and the results be declared on the same day.
The term of the 38 current Bar Council members will expire at the next Annual General Meeting, to be held in March 2022.
Pursuant to the Resolution passed at the Malaysian Bar’s 55th Annual General Meeting held on 17 Mar 2001, each candidate nominated for election was asked to provide a brief write-up. To view the (unedited) write-ups, please click here to log into the Malaysian Bar website, and then click here to access Circular No 436/2021 dated 1 Nov 2021, entitled “Election to Bar Council 2022/2023”.
1 The candidate's name as it appears in his/her Practising Certificate is stated first, followed by the candidate's preferred name (in parentheses), if the two names are different.