Contributed by Joane Sharmila, Editor, Bar Council
Twenty-seven candidates have filed nomination papers for election to the Bar Council for the 2021/2022 term, pursuant to section 49 of the Legal Profession Act 1976. The deadline for submission of nomination papers was 31 Oct 2020.
The candidates are:1
- Anand Raj A/L R. Balasupramaniam (Anand Raj) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Chan Weng Keng (Roger Chan Weng Keng) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Colin Andrew Pereira (Kuala Lumpur)
- Dipendra A/L Harshad Rai (H R Dipendra) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Farez Bin Mohd Ali Jinnah (Farez Jinnah) (Selangor)
- Fariz Irwan Bin Mustafa (Terengganu)
- Hendon Mohamed (Kuala Lumpur and Selangor)
- Ho Chee Cheong, Desmond (Desmond Ho Chee Cheong) (Selangor and Melaka)
- Jayabalan A/L Raman Kutty (R. Jayabalan) (Johore)
- Jeyaseelen A/L T. Anthony (Jeyaseelen Anthony) (Selangor)
- Karen Cheah Yee Lynn (Kuala Lumpur)
- Kokila Vaani A/P Vadiveloo (Kokila Vaani Vadiveloo) (Selangor)
- Lukman Sheriff B Alias (Lukman Sheriff Alias) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Mohamad Ezri B Abdul Wahab (Ezri) (Penang and Selangor)
- Muhammad Rafique Bin Rashid Ali (Muhammad Rafique) (Selangor)
- Murshidah Bt Mustafa (Murshidah Mustafa) (Kedah, Penang and Selangor)
- New Sin Yew (Kuala Lumpur)
- Nizam Bashir Bin Abdul Kariem Bashir (Nizam Bashir) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Rajpal Singh A/L Mukhtiar Singh (Dato’ Rajpal Singh) (Selangor)
- Roger Tan Kor Mee (Datuk Roger Tan Kor Mee) (Johore)
- Surendra Ananth A/L Anandaraju (Surendra Ananth) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Suzana Norlihan Binti Alias (Suzana Norlihan Alias) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Syazlin Binti Mansor (Syazlin Mansor) (Selangor)
- Tan Lay Ean (Honey Tan Lay Ean) (Kuala Lumpur)
- Tharumarajah A/L Thiagarajan (T. Tharuma) (Penang and Kuala Lumpur)
- Wan Azliana Binti Wan Adnan (Selangor and Terengganu)
- Yusfarizal Bin Yussoff (Kuala Lumpur)
Last year, 35 Members stood for election, the highest in a decade since 2009, when 32 Members stood for election. From 2010 to 2018, there were between 20 and 30 contenders.
Almost 20,000 Members of the Bar are eligible to cast their votes in this election. Members should receive their ballot papers by post starting from around 9 Nov 2020, and may vote for a maximum of 12 candidates.
The postal ballots must be returned to the Bar Council Secretariat not later than 5:30 pm on 30 Nov 2020 (Monday). It is expected that the ballots be delivered to the election scrutineers on 1 Dec 2020 (Tuesday), and the results be declared on the same day.
The term of the 38 current Bar Council members will expire at the next Annual General Meeting, scheduled for 13 Mar 2021 (Saturday).
Pursuant to the Resolution passed at the Malaysian Bar’s 55th Annual General Meeting held on 17 Mar 2001, each candidate nominated for election was asked to provide a brief write-up. To view the (unedited) write-ups, please click here to log into the Malaysian Bar website, and then click here to access Circular No 382/2020 dated 2 Nov 2020, entitled “Election to Bar Council 2021/2022”.
1 The candidate's name as it appears in his/her Practising Certificate is stated first, followed by the candidate's preferred name (in parentheses), if the two names are different.