Contributed by Baizura Abd Razak, Senior Editor/Writer, Bar Council; and photos by Brenden Anthony, Officer, Bar Council, and Mysahra Shawkat, Assistant Director, Bar Council
The Malaysian Bar’s 76th Annual General Meeting (“AGM”) was held online and conducted virtually through live streaming and online remote voting via a Remote Participation and Voting (“RPV”) platform on 19 Mar 2022.
A brief summary of the AGM follows below.
(1) The Chairman, A G Kalidas (President of the Malaysian Bar) called the meeting to order at 10:10 am, as the quorum of 500 Members had been achieved shortly before that.
(2) Eleven motions had been proposed for consideration at the AGM.
(3) Five resolutions were ultimately adopted by Members of the Bar, as follows:
(a) Resolution Regarding the Continuing Professional Development Scheme;
(b) Resolution Regarding the Provision of Legal Research Products from CLJ Legal Network Sdn Bhd, The Digital Library Sdn Bhd, and Thomson Reuters Asia Sdn Bhd;
(c) Resolution on the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission and Its Check and Balance Mechanisms;
(d) Resolution on Conduct, Discipline and Political Funding Laws that Cover the Cabinet, Members of Parliament, Senators, Etc; and
(e) Resolution on the Coroner and Inquests.
Click here to view the resolutions on the Malaysian Bar website.
A total of 1,182 Members and 22 pupils in chambers attended the AGM virtually. The AGM concluded at 5:52 pm.
In the first Bar Council (“BC”) meeting held immediately after the AGM, the following Office Bearers of the Malaysian Bar were elected for the 2022/2023 term:
- President: Karen Cheah Yee Lynn (elected to BC by postal ballot);
- Vice-President: Mohamad Ezri b Abdul Wahab (elected to BC by postal ballot);
- Secretary: Anand Raj s/o R Balasupramaniam (elected to BC by postal ballot); and
- Murshidah bt Mustafa (elected to BC by postal ballot) was appointed as Treasurer.
The remaining 38 members of BC are:
Immediate Past President
(1) A G Kalidas Krishnan s/o Gnanaprakasam
Immediate Past Vice-President
(2) Surindar Singh s/o Chain Singh
Elected by Postal Ballot
(3) Chan Weng Keng
(4) Dipendra s/o Harshad Rai
(5) Fahri Azzat
(6) Hendon Mohamed
(7) Larissa Ann Louis
(8) New Sin Yew
(9) Rajpal Singh s/o Mukhtiar Singh
(10) Roger Tan Kor Mee
(11) Salim b Bashir Bhaskaran
(12) Tan Lay Ean
(13) Yong Li Hsien
(14) Yusfarizal b Yussoff
Chairmen of State Bar Committees, and State Bar Representatives on the Bar Council
(15) Jayabalan s/o Raman Kutty (Chairman, Johore Bar Committee)
(16) Shahareen Begum bt Abdul Subhan (Johore Bar Representative on the Bar Council)
(17) Rosman Azwan b Osman (Chairman, Kedah Bar Committee)
(18) Burhanudeen b Abdul Wahid (Kedah Bar Representative on the Bar Council)
(19) Roshalizawati bt Muhammad (Chairman, Kelantan Bar Committee)
(20) Zuhaidie Akmal b Hasan Basri (Kelantan Bar Representative on the Bar Council)
(21) Vivekananda s/o Sukumaran (Chairman, Kuala Lumpur Bar Committee)
(22) Harleen Kaur d/o Tarjeet Singh (Kuala Lumpur Bar Representative on the Bar Council)
(23) Foo Qiao Wei (Chairman, Malacca Bar Committee)
(24) Jaspal Singh Gill (Malacca Bar Representative on the Bar Council)
(25) Azmi b Abdoll Aziz (Chairman, Negeri Sembilan Bar Committee)
(26) Marisa Regina bt Mohd Aris Rizal (Negeri Sembilan Bar Representative on the Bar Council)
(27) Abdullah Johari b Hamzah (Chairman, Pahang Bar Committee)
(28) Muthu Kumar s/o Suya Kumanan (Pahang Bar Representative on the Bar Council)
(29) Ravi Chandran s/o Subash Chandran (Chairman, Penang Bar Committee)
(30) Lee Guan Tong (Penang Bar Representative on the Bar Council)
(31) Kamala Mahlini d/o P Jeganathan (Chairman, Perak Bar Committee)
(32) Balakrishna Balaravi Pillai (Perak Bar Representative on the Bar Council)
(33) Nor Herdawati bt Harun (Chairman, Perlis Bar Committee)
(34) Fatin Hayati bt Abdul Rahman (Perlis Bar Representative on the Bar Council)
(35) Kokila Vaani d/o Vadiveloo (Chairman, Selangor Bar Committee)
(36) Maha Kalithas Pramasamy (Selangor Bar Representative on the Bar Council)
(37) Sallehudin b Harun (Chairman, Terengganu Bar Committee)
(38) Abdul Aziz b Hasan (Terengganu Bar Representative on the Bar Council)