The first meeting of the IT & Cyberlaws Committee 2003/2004 was held on Friday, 25 April 2003 at 10.00 am at the Bar Council Secretariat No 13, 15 & 17 Jalan Leboh Pasar Besar, 50050 Kuala Lumpur and the following was discussed and where applicable agreed.
1. Dates of meetings for the year 2003/2004 were fixed at 2.30 pm a day before the Bar Council meetings.
2. Extensive work has to be done on the Malaysian Bar website to ensure that content is uploaded regularly.
3. IT related articles are to be uploaded on the website to educate lawyers on use of IT in their practice.
4. The 3rd MSC International Cyberlaws Conference will be held in mid–January 2004 and together with ASLI & MDC, Bar Council will co–host the same.
5. The role of the Communications and Multimedia Consumer Forum of Malaysia was discussed and members agreed that the State Bars should be encouraged to join the Forum the lend support to the DEMAND side.
6. Wordings of the Disclaimer for the website were circulated to members and members were encourage to digest it and make recommendations as soon as possible. Suppliers or Vendors are to be charged RM500.00 per annum to be listed on the Malaysian Bar website.
7. The Committee was of the view that the Publicity Rules should be relaxed to enable lawyers to be on a level playing field in order to compete with others who offer services such as Intellectual Property Agents.
8. The Proposed Road Show Program will be reviewed this year to cover Kota Baru, Kuantan, Ipoh & Seremban.
9. The LexisNexis Package will be studied to get the best package for Solicitors.
10. Video Conferencing facilities will be reviewed this year with other State Bars.