|Suhakam given memo on 45 ISA detainees|
|Tuesday, 03 July 2012 09:14am|
©The Star (Used by permission)
KUALA LUMPUR: The Abolish ISA Movement (GMI) presented a memorandum to Suhakam on the plight of 45 detainees still held under the Internal Security Act.
Nunurheni Onim, who is the wife of ISA detainee Razali Kassan, told Suhakam Commissioner Muhammad Sha’ani Abdullah that her husband had been abused.
She said her husband, who was detained in January last year for suspected arms smuggling, had told her on Sunday during a visit that he had been beaten and spat on.
Razali was recently hospitalised after going on a hunger strike with several other detainees seeking their release following the repeal of the ISA, which has been replaced by the Security Offences (Safety Measures) Act 2012.
GMI coordinator Syukri Razab told Suhakam that the visiting time for families had been reduced from an hour to 30 minutes.
Sha’ani said he would forward the complaints presented at the dialogue to the authorities when Suhakam visits the detention centre in Kamunting, Perak next week.
He said Suhakam had written to the Home Ministry regarding the matter, but had not received a response yet.
On April 17, Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein pledged to look into the possibility of releasing those detained under the ISA.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak had previously said that the repeal of the ISA would not affect those currently detained under the law.
|< Prev||Next >|