|Inquest into cabbie's death ends|
|Thursday, 19 July 2012 09:45am|
©The New Straits Times (Used by permission)
KUALA LUMPUR: The inquest to determine the circumstances leading to the death of taxi driver Baharudin Ahmad during Bersih 2.0 last year, ended yesterday.
Coroner Zulkpli Abdullah will announce his findings on Sept 14, whether Baharudin died of natural causes or if there was foul play.
Yesterday, deputy public prosecutor Ahmad Iskrakh Saad submitted that the claim by Baharudin's family lawyers, who alleged that the police and hospital authorities had covered up the cause of his death, had no basis.
He said according to Baharudin's medical tests, he was found to have an enlarged heart with severe narrowing of the coronary arteries.
Ahmad also said there were no significant injuries on the deceased's body that could contributed to his death.
The deputy prosecutor also said the family lawyers did not call any expert witnesses to challenge the evidence of Dr Khairul Anuar Zainun of Hospital Kuala Lumpur, who con ducted the post-mortem.
Family lawyer Ahmad Jufliz Faiza submitted that recordings from cameras at Kuala Lumpur City Centre security department showed the crowd in that area was peaceful at 4pm on the day of the rally. But the recording showed people running into nearby buildings at 4.16pm.
"We also have witnesses who testified that they heard shots and that their eyes stung from the effects of tear gas, which meant that police had fired tear gas and the water cannon at the crowd near KLCC."
Jufliz also pointed to the testimony of deputy city police chief Datuk Amar Singh, who told the inquest that although there was live feed provided by a helicopter of the events from KLCC to the Dang Wangi police headquarters, there were no recordings of the footages.
"We believe there was a recording but they don't want to show it because it does not fit their 'script' of what happened that day," the lawyer charged.
|< Prev||Next >|