|14 allege fraud in sale of homes|
|Tuesday, 26 June 2012 09:15am|
©The New Straits Times (Used by permission)
ALOR STAR: A group of 14 people claim they have been duped by two agents over the sale of homes, under the state government's low-cost housing scheme, which does not exist.
The buyers, most of them low-income earners, had paid between RM1,600 and RM2,000 each as deposit for the houses.
One buyer, who only wanted to be known as Madam Ling, said she met one of the agents at the Alor Star court complex in March last year.
The 30-year-old buyer said the woman, in her 50s, and her friend had claimed that they were agents for a low-cost housing project in Mergong, which began construction last year.
"She told me there were 1,000 units available, at RM98,000 each, and that the houses would be built on land near a hypermarket. Buyers had to place a deposit of RM1,600 per unit and an extra RM400 for a corner unit.
"However, they first had to register with the state housing division in Wisma Darulaman," she said at a press conference at the state Gerakan headquarters here yesterday.
Last month, Ling and several neighbours, who also signed up, visited the proposed site and found it was still occupied by padi fields.
Fearing she had been duped, Ling lodged a police report last Friday.
Kota Star district deputy police chief Superintendent Baharom Abu said a woman and man, in their 50s and 60s respectively, were arrested on Sunday to facilitate investigations.
"Fourteen police reports were lodged against the two suspects," he told the New Straits Times.
|< Prev||Next >|